Photo: Young Artist Joshua Conyers as Marullo in Rigoletto (2017).
Palm Beach Opera Benenson Young Artist and Bailey Apprentice Artist Auditions
The Benenson Young Artist Program of Palm Beach Opera is an opportunity for 8 emerging professional singers to gain valuable mainstage experience alongside an intensive training curriculum that targets the skills essential for success in the opera industry. The ideal candidate for this program has already participated in previous apprenticeships and is on the verge of launching their career as a principal artist. Participants are usually in their late 20s or early 30s.
The Apprentice Artist Program of Palm Beach Opera is an opportunity for 10 recent graduates of universities and conservatories to continue building their experience in a professional setting through community engagement and cover assignments, while also benefiting from a rigorous training schedule under the guidance of a supportive resident staff and guest faculty. The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic ambassador for the art form who is eager to further develop their craft. Participants are generally in their mid-20s.
Each Young Artist will:
- Gain mainstage experience in supporting and comprimario roles
- Cover appropriate leading roles in mainstage productions, and perform these roles in an abridged family performance
- Perform leading roles with orchestra in a fully-staged Young Artist production
Each Apprentice Artist will:
- Perform in Education and Community Engagement concerts
- Cover appropriate supporting roles in mainstage productions
- Cover and sing leading and supporting roles in a fully-staged Young Artist production
- Sing in all mainstage production choruses
All Artists will:
- Perform arias at promotional events and donor functions
- Perform concerts and recitals throughout the community
- Receive regular coaching with resident music staff
- Participate in residencies with visiting coaches, voice teachers, conductors, and directors
- Work with acclaimed guest artists in masterclasses
- Audition for managers and administrators who travel to Palm Beach for mainstage performances
- Receive career counseling from PBO’s experienced artistic staff
During recent seasons, the training curriculum has regularly included extended residencies with the following guest faculty:
- Craig Rutenberg, vocal coach
- Craig Terry, vocal coach
- Anthony Manoli, vocal coach
- Danielle Orlando, vocal coach
- Rachelle Jonck, vocal coach
- Stephen King, voice teacher
- Michael Paul, voice teacher
- Elizabeth Futral, voice teacher
- David Stern, Chief Conductor
- Corradina Caporello, Italian diction coach
- Kathryn LaBouff, English diction coach
- Ksenia Leletkina, Russian diction coach
- Natalie Parker, Ballet and Period Dance instructor
Participants also work regularly with our resident music staff, including:
- Gregory Ritchey, Associate Conductor
- Timothy Cheung, Principal Coach
- Ksenia Leletkina, Associate Principal Coach
- Ben Malensek, Master Vocal Coach
- Anna Fateeva, Vocal Coach
PBO provides each Young Artist and Apprentice Artist with:
- Monthly stipend
- Shared fully-furnished apartment
- Round-trip travel
All singers will be asked to present an aria list of at least 4 selections in a variety of styles and languages.
Auditions will be held in New York on October 18, 19, 20, and 21, 2019.
Applications are due by September 9, 2019, and must be submitted via YAP Tracker. A subscription is not necessary to apply.
*If you are unable to be in New York during this audition period due to a production conflict, Palm Beach Opera would still like to know of your interest in our programs. In exceptional cases, our staff may be able to hear you on another date. Before submitting an application, please be in touch with James Barbato at email@example.com.
*If you are a Florida-based artist and would prefer to audition in Palm Beach, please contact James Barbato at firstname.lastname@example.org before submitting an application.
*Please note that due to the limited availability of time slots, submission of an application may not guarantee a live audition. Singers are strongly encouraged to attach an audio or video recording to their application. Palm Beach Opera will endeavor to hear as many singers as possible and early application is recommended.
The PBO YAP is open to all young professionals regardless of nationality. Foreign nationals wishing to apply must either have a valid work visa to the United States for the entire period covering the program or must have already established themselves as a respected young professional artist in their native countries.